bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From Joachim Dreimann <joachim.dreim...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #673: Many owners in My Ticket widget in /products/prefix page
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:45:44 GMT
On 30 September 2013 12:04, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 30/09/13 07:14, Ryan Ollos wrote:

>>> +
>>>
>>>  So should be just add a "Products" to the mainnav? I don't have a better
>> idea, and it seems like a good enough choice (#678).
>>

> I'm not actually all that keen to add more to the default mainnav. I was
> thinking that it might be better to provide a more uniform breadcrumb
> across all views. We already have the ability to select products from
> various ticket related pages and this has the All products link to the
> products page. How would people feel if we also had this product dropdown
> available for wiki pages, for example?

I'm with Gary on this, I don't think we should add more to the mainnav.

The Dashboard page already lists some products, and should provide the link
to show more products and more information about them.

> We may also want to consider whether changing the product with that
> dropdown control should always go to the product home (default_handler) or
> if it should depend on context (i.e. go to the /products/<pre2>/wiki or
> /products/<pre2>/dashboard when selecting product from a <pre1> wiki page
> or ticket page respectively.)
>

>    >  - From the produce list page, link to `product_view.html` for each

>>> It's the Dashboard . The fact is that the default product URL
>>> namespace overlaps with product_view.html in global scope but not in
>>> product scope . Therefore , in order to provide a consistent
>>> navigation in all contexts . Indeed /product_view.html is a kind of
>>> dashboard too .
>>>
>>> In the case of sub-domain deployments that overlapping does not exist
>>> , that's why I noticed these issues ;)
>>>
>>>  Maybe the //Home// button should direct there?

>>> the wiki but maybe other page in the web site depending on
>>> configuration .
>>>
>>>  Yeah, it makes sense to have Home direct to the default_handler.
>>

> If there is to be a home link then, yes, this would probably make the most
> sense. There seems to be potential for a bit of overlap of links though..
>

>>  Thoughts?
>>>>
>>> I'd rather advocate inserting a new nav item e.g. View pointing at
>>> $product_base_url/products/<**prefix> which would be expanded to
>>> /products/<prefix>/products/<**prefix> in default install or
>>> <prefix>.dom.ain/products/<**prefix> for sub-domains (... or the
>>> corresponding path if other URL namespace is deployed ;)
>>>
>>> Items would look like this ...
>>>
>>> View | Edit | Home | Tickets | Wiki
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>

>> Adding a View link sounds good. I think it would be good to do this for
>> Release 8 since you've already made so many improvements to the Product
>> List page (#677). I'll plan to work the ticket if you don't beat me to it!
>>

> Actually, I think things may be going a bit strange here. Do we really
> need both
>
>  *
>
>    /products/<prefix>/products/<**prefix>
>
>  *
>
>    /products/<prefix>/dashboard
>
> Apart from being a little confusing, there is significant overlap with the
> product page adding some details about the product and the ability to edit
> or delete. Would it be worth unifying these pages? Is there a reason that
> we don't want the product information on the dashboard page?

Is it just me or does
     /products/<prefix>/products/<**prefix>
look like a rather odd URL semantically?

- Joe