bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From Saint Germain <saint...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Guidance needed to contribute to Bloodhound
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:31:23 GMT
Hello !

On 13 November 2013 11:18, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> We can get the source from Subversion, from Github and Bitbucket and
>> patches can be sent through patch/diff, github pull request and
>> mercurial mq pull request.
>> But what is the recommended  method ?
>

> We might struggle to notice anything through github and bitbucket so the
> best bet is to go with a patch/diff at the moment. You should be able to
> either email patches to this list or attach them to a ticket on
> issues.apache.org/bloodhound.

As I have explained in the other answer, I have tried this with:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/694

But it was a bit difficult to manage as soon as you are 2
collaborating on the same patches.

>> For instance, I saw that Olemis is using Bitbucket and mercurial-mq a
>> lot, so I decided to invest a little time to learn it to try his
>> patches. However I have some questions:
>>
>> 1) From where can I get the trunk ? If I qclone bloodhound-mq, I don't
>> see the most recent commit in Bloodhound.
>> I can use hgsubversion or hg-git to get the source from the official
>> repo, but I was expecting an up-to-date mirror on Bitbucket ?
>

> I am not aware of anything that can be considered an official mirror of the
> repo on bitbucket so you would be relying on Olemis to keep his copy updated
> with changes. The github mirror should automatically update.
>
> Sorry that doesn't really answer the question but if you want source control
> for your patches, github might be a better bet for this reason.

No problem, hg-git is working perfectly for me and I can directly pull
the changes from github.
It is just that I needed mercurial to be able to test Olemis patches
in is mercurial-mq.

Using mercurial-mq seems to be quite nice from what I have seen to
manage/maintain patches.
I have no experience with Github pull request, but I understand that
the principle is more or less the same. So if diff/patches are not
working for some specific ticket, are we allowed to submit patches
through Github pull request ?

Thanks !