bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan J Ollos <rjol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unit Testing for BH component
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2014 21:11:57 GMT
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Dammina Sahabandu <dmsahabandu@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi devs,
> Currently I'm trying to write some test cases for a bh component. The
> thing is as the component does some HTTP requests that I need to test
> it will be required to start the server to run test cases. So is there
> any test automation framework for bh? And where can I find the
> existing test suits for the other bh component within the bh code
> base?

It sounds like you would like to utilize the functional test
infrastructure. There is brief documentation of both unit and functional
tests for the Trac project which are applicable to Bloodhound:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/UnitTests
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/FunctionalTests

The approach that I usually take is to utilize functional tests if the
template code does not need to be tested, and only utilize functional tests
when the template code needs to be tested. The functional tests are slower
and more difficult to write. JavaScript cannot be tested with the existing
Twill-based functional test infrastructure.

You can get pretty far in preventing future regressions by just writing a
good set of unit tests, so I would suggest starting there.