bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Dogfooding multi product on i.a.o/bloodhound
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2015 14:48:38 GMT
On 17.02.2015 00:45, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 2/16/15, Branko ─îibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> To maintain URL compatibility,
>> we can design rewrite rules for the Apache config that make all
>> product-scoped tickets, pages, etc. visible at their old locations.
>>
> HTTP 301 , isn't it ?

Most likely, yes. There are several options:

  * Issue a permanent redirect (301); this will tell browsers to always
    look at the target URL in future.
  * Issue a temporary redirect (302, or 307; have to check specs);
    browsers will keep hitting the old URL and be redirected.
  * Do URL rewrite magic internally, so that the request URL is remapped
    to the new locations by HTTPd itself. This avoids the roundtrip in
    the temp-redirect case and still allows us to harmlessly change the
    mapping and/or URL prefixes in future.

IMO, 301 is just fine, as long as we're really careful to make sure that
we get all redirects right on the first go.

-- Brane