bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan J Ollos <rjol...@apache.org>
Subject Google Summer of Code 2015 is coming
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2015 06:31:00 GMT
The recent announcement of GSOC 2015 can be found below. Apache Bloodhound
has participated in 2013 and 2014 with a total of 4 project. None of those
projects have been integrated to the trunk. I've mentioned elsewhere that I
don't think Apache Bloodhound should participate in GSOC 2015 unless we
have a plan for taking action on the work done by previous GSOC
participants. I'm interested to hear thoughts from others.

If anyone want to take responsibility for integrating a GSOC project from
prior years to the trunk, that would be an excellent step for the project.
To my knowledge the GSOC participants from previous years are still
interested in contributing to Bloodhound, and this could be a good
opportunity keep them involved.

In the immediate future I'll be focusing on Release 9 and the Trac
1.0.2/3/4 integration, so I don't foresee having time to integrate one of
the GSOC projects.

- Ryan

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ulrich Stärk <uli@apache.org>
Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:44 PM
Subject: Google Summer of Code 2015 is coming
To: mentors@community.apache.org

Hello PMCs (incubator Mentors, please forward this email to your podlings),

Google Summer of Code [1] is a program sponsored by Google allowing
students to spend their summer
working on open source software. Students will receive stipends for
developing open source software
full-time for three months. Projects will provide mentoring and project
ideas, and in return have
the chance to get new code developed and - most importantly - to identify
and bring in new committers.

The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual
projects don't have to apply
separately.

If you want to participate with your project we ask you to do the following
things by no later than

1. understand what it means to be a mentor [2].

2. record your project ideas.

Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2015, and they will show up
at [3]. Please be as
specific as possible when describing your idea. Include the programming
language, the tools and
skills required, but try not to scare potential students away. They are
supposed to learn what's
required before the program starts.

Use labels, e.g. for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang,
python, brainfuck, ...) or
technology area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...) and record them at [5].

Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording your ideas if your project
doesn't use JIRA (e.g.
httpd, ooo). Contact dev@community.apache.org if you need assistance.

[4] contains some additional information (will be updated for 2015 shortly).

3. subscribe to mentors@community.apache.org; restricted to potential
mentors, meant to be used as a
private list - general discussions on the public dev@community.apache.org
list as much as possible
please). Use a recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org or one of
your alias addresses on
record).

Note that the ASF isn't accepted as a participating organization yet,
nevertheless you *have to*
start recording your ideas now or we might not get accepted.

Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully.
Some of our prior
students are active contributors now! Let's make this year a success again!

Cheers,

Uli

P.S.: Except for the private parts (label spreadsheet mostly), this email
is free to be shared
publicly if you want to.

[1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015
[2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html