bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From Gary <gary.mar...@physics.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] How to get out of this situation?
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2017 02:18:05 GMT
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017, at 08:33 PM, Allan Swanepoel wrote:
> As a massive outsider to this project, I joined the ML in the hope to
> learn more about the bloodhound project, only to be met with the
> possible archiving of it.
>
> Please don't get the wrong impression, I enjoy python and open source
> as much as i enjoy contributing to OSS.
>
> I would like to raise a few troublesome concerns I would have with
> this project (again, this is one person):
> 1) Trac - the foundation of BH is still on Py2 - with basically 2 yrs
> until py2 is declared EOL (2020) .
> 2) Trac Version - Trac is on version 1.2(stable), afaik, BH has only
> been tested on Trac 0.11 - 0.13
>
> So, i guess my day 1 question would be how would you get Bloodhound to
> py3 in ~2yrs, especially if the platform its based on isnt there yet?

I think you make some very good points here. I would prefer to see
Bloodhound running on Python 3 and I am far from convinced that being
based on Trac will help us.

Although it might point to a much larger effort, I would be interested
in opinions on whether the community (i.e. any part of the community
that wants to move forward with Bloodhound) would consider moving away
from Trac as the base for the project.

Cheers,
    Gary