bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Brownridge <daniel.brownri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] How to get out of this situation?
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2017 10:39:58 GMT
I used Bloodhound as our production issue management in a small
organisation a few years back.

In many respects it worked very well but there where a few glitches that
became frustrating over time.

I gravitated towards Bloodhound as at the time it appeared to be the
best thing open source could offer as an alternative to Jira which is
what I have encountered most frequently in use in businesses.

I would support a move to python 3. In terms of changing the base I
think this is potentially a sensible idea. In terms of attracting
developers to the project Django would seem to be a very sensible
choice. This is partly coming from the fact it's what I have most
experience with but pragmatically the number of people familiar with
working on a Django project will vastly outweigh the number of people
who are familiar with the Trac code base.

I'm sure there are a myriad of other potential options too, but, if it's
not Django then whatever does become the base of the project should
ideally have a lot of common ground to provide people an easy way into
to understanding the code.

My assumption in making this point is that Bloodhound's ultimate goal is
to be the best open source bug/issue/task management tool it can be, not
to reinvent the wheel in other areas.

To put it another way, and appreciate I might be a lone voice here, I
personally don't have much appetite to become skilled in trac, because
that doesn't take me much further, but as an opportunity to keep working
with a code base (i.e. Django etc) I know is transferable I'd be much
keener to contribute.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks,

Daniel