bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From "Gary Martin" <gary.mar...@physics.org>
Subject Re: looking to get back on track or possible retirement to attic
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2020 10:29:43 GMT
Hi Daniel,

I see that I hid a number of issues by mentioning that there is some infrastructure work that
is required. Updates to the project page and getting the issue tracker back up would be amongst
these. Getting a new set of tickets to help hand out the work would also clearly be useful.

The current code is available from a number of places. I updated the README.md last night
to see if I could improve the instructions around getting the code, although clearly that
would only be seen when you have already seen the code. The svn repo is available at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/bloodhound/
but you can get a more targetted checkout with:

  svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/bloodhound/branches/bh_core_experimental/

alternatively, as you spotted, it is mirrored at github and so you can clone and checkout
direct to the appropriate branch with:

  git clone --branch bh_core_experimental https://github.com/apache/bloodhound.git

I can certainly understand finding subversion as a more difficult option when many of us are
just so much more used to git. I believe that in previous discussions we did see most people
who expressed an opinion that we should move to git so that can probably be expected if we
are happy that there are enough people interested in continuing the project.

Before encouraging people to use irc, I would still like to see people engaging here so that
it is easier to see how much interest there is in continuing.

That said, I am usually on irc and I can be usually be found in #bloodhound on freenode. I
am happy to have conversations there but I will also try to get useful conversation summarised
and shared here in some way if it does happen. Also, even if I am there, at times I may take
a fair time to respond so you may need some patience!

I would also like to organise some hack days so that interested people can be online at the
same time to try to share advice and see if we can make more progress that way. I could look
to see if we can use a slack channel somewhere appropriate if that would seem easier than
irc for more people.

Thanks!

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, at 6:16 AM, Daniel Brownridge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your honest email Gary!
>
> I find myself some time available at the moment and would like to make
> myself useful to the project.
>
> I'll probably need a hand getting acquainted so will refrain from wading
> in on the design discussion till I'm up and running in some sense.
>
> Apologies for going over old ground, but https://bloodhound.apache.org/
> is obviously up but had dead links.
>
> So I'm wondering where the latest and greatest code is and if we have
> any open bug list I could get working on?
>
> I've found https://projects.apache.org/project.html?bloodhound which
> similarly has dead links.
>
> My Subversion is very rusty (haven't used in about 8 years) but can get
> up to speed if necessary.
>
> I did find https://github.com/apache/bloodhound which looks like the
> most recent thing someone was doing was playing around with SaltStack
> about 2 years ago.
>
> Is there anything else I've missed? Is anyone using IRC for the quick
> back and forth as I will probably have a few inane questions that people
> won't want to be spammed with.
>
> The last project I did was Django Rest Framework based so can probably
> hit the ground running there. UI stuff, again rusty as it's a while
> since I've done front end stuff but happy to give it a shot if that's
> what really needs doing.
>
> Basically I'm happy to be a minion for the time being until I've found
> my feet!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Daniel
>
> On 13/01/2020 17:48, Gary Martin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > OK, it seems I feel embarrassed enough at my lack of activity on this project now
to come through to the other side and start actually doing something.

> > Possibly most importantly, I do need to check that there is going to be enough interest
from a wider group around contributing. Without an active community it may be appropriate
for the project to retire to the attic as has been mentioned in the past.

> > My plan as it is would be to continue to develop the branched core project based
on django [1] and the django rest framework [2]. In the main I just want this part to be flexible
in providing means to add any fields required by a project for categorising and tracking details.

> > On top of that we obviously need some kind of UI. I would potentially be interested
in seeing multiple UIs that are capable of using the main model including a main web UI a
cli client and other goodies.

> > On the webui side I would be interested in building something with react [3] although
I would certainly be interested in hearing arguments around alternatives. I have been playing
a little with things like plot.ly's Dash project [4] as well which might provide us with a
good way of building dashboards. Again, I would be interested in more alternatives from the
community.

> > In terms of immediate work, other than some infrastructure stuff, getting the user
model integrated into the core would be a good place to make some progress. That said, anyone
interested in playing with some of the ideas above would be very welcome!

--
Cheers,
    Gary