bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Brownridge <daniel.brownri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: looking to get back on track or possible retirement to attic
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2020 06:16:10 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for your honest email Gary!

I find myself some time available at the moment and would like to make
myself useful to the project.

I'll probably need a hand getting acquainted so will refrain from wading
in on the design discussion till I'm up and running in some sense.

Apologies for going over old ground, but https://bloodhound.apache.org/
is obviously up but had dead links.

So I'm wondering where the latest and greatest code is and if we have
any open bug list I could get working on?

I've found https://projects.apache.org/project.html?bloodhound which
similarly has dead links.

My Subversion is very rusty (haven't used in about 8 years) but can get
up to speed if necessary.

I did find https://github.com/apache/bloodhound which looks like the
most recent thing someone was doing was playing around with SaltStack
about 2 years ago.

Is there anything else I've missed? Is anyone using IRC for the quick
back and forth as I will probably have a few inane questions that people
won't want to be spammed with.

The last project I did was Django Rest Framework based so can probably
hit the ground running there. UI stuff, again rusty as it's a while
since I've done front end stuff but happy to give it a shot if that's
what really needs doing.

Basically I'm happy to be a minion for the time being until I've found
my feet!

Cheers,

Daniel

On 13/01/2020 17:48, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, it seems I feel embarrassed enough at my lack of activity on this project now to
come through to the other side and start actually doing something.

> Possibly most importantly, I do need to check that there is going to be enough interest
from a wider group around contributing. Without an active community it may be appropriate
for the project to retire to the attic as has been mentioned in the past.

> My plan as it is would be to continue to develop the branched core project based on django
[1] and the django rest framework [2]. In the main I just want this part to be flexible in
providing means to add any fields required by a project for categorising and tracking details.

> On top of that we obviously need some kind of UI. I would potentially be interested in
seeing multiple UIs that are capable of using the main model including a main web UI a cli
client and other goodies.

> On the webui side I would be interested in building something with react [3] although
I would certainly be interested in hearing arguments around alternatives. I have been playing
a little with things like plot.ly's Dash project [4] as well which might provide us with a
good way of building dashboards. Again, I would be interested in more alternatives from the
community.

> In terms of immediate work, other than some infrastructure stuff, getting the user model
integrated into the core would be a good place to make some progress. That said, anyone interested
in playing with some of the ideas above would be very welcome!