bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From "Gary Martin" <gary.mar...@physics.org>
Subject Re: looking to get back on track or possible retirement to attic
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2020 02:16:22 GMT
Hi Daniel,

On Sun, 2 Feb 2020, at 9:12 AM, Daniel Brownridge wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Sorry for slow reply. After much faffing around I've now got the code
> checked out and I'm starting to poke about. I'll try and get a local
> build going and see how I get on.

So sorry it has been even longer from me!

> > I see that I hid a number of issues by mentioning that there is some infrastructure
work that is required. Updates to the project page and getting the issue tracker back up would
be amongst these. Getting a new set of tickets to help hand out the work would also clearly
be useful.
> Regards the above I have what might seem a counter-intuitive suggestion.
> Bloodhound is supposed to be project management / bug tracking software
> so it's intuitive that we would want to use Bloodhound to support
> Bloodhound. And I know this has been the case in the past, however, it
> seems to me that we're in a bit of a chicken and egg situation at the
> moment. The project has deteriorated to some degree, dead-links, and so
> on and at the same time there is a design discussion going on about
> Django and so on. So to breath some life back into things how about we
> use some of the Apache Infrastructure that is already in place to
> bootstrap ourselves back to a place where things are moving again. How
> about we request a project to be created in JIRA for Bloodhound which we
> can use in the meantime. I'm still new in ASF world and getting
> established but I'd be more than happy to take this aspect on. I note
> from https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa that:
>
> > If your ASF project wants to use JIRA, either read this wiki page
> > aboutmigrating from Bugzilla
> > <http://wiki.apache.org/general/ApacheBugzillaToJiraMigration>or
> > please contact jira at apache.org to setup a new project.
> How about we do this? I can already think of one of the first tickets
> I'd like to register there! Get http://live.bloodhound.apache.org/
> <http://bloodhound.apache.org/> up and running again.

Sorry to go against that idea a little. For now I am intending to get the current bloodhound
instance going again as a stop-gap before we can replace it with a new version. This is partly
so we will have existing links restored and partly as we will probably desire some kind of
migration of issues to the new project. I hope that makes some kind of sense.

> In a similar vein it would make sense to have some CI going on so it
> would be nice to have Bloodhound up on https://builds.apache.org/ to see
> tests passing etc.

Yes, we certainly used to have CI via buildbot. These days I do a fair amount of work with
jenkins pipelines so I can see that working reasonably well.

> I'm still finding my feet in ASF land - from reading general stuff on
> Apache.org I think I need to sign ICLA or something before anyone lets
> me near code?

Well, it is certainly possible to contribute code to Apache projects without being a committer
to the project. You can look at http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles for distinctions
between contributors and committers. I may well be talking to you about this again shortly
though.

> > I would also like to organise some hack days so that interested people can be online
at the same time to try to share advice and see if we can make more progress that way.
> More than happy to get involved in a hack day. Just let me know when
> works for you. I'm also trying to hang out in irc more! Totally off
> topic but I'm on a laptop +allegary, JasonO- & macmaN all seem to be
> there permanently, is this as simple as you're using a desktop you don't
> turn off or are you doing something clever?

OK, I'll make an announcement soon to see who can be encouraged to join in.

Sorry I kept missing you (three times?) by the way. I am allegary so feel free to say hi in
the channel.

There are a number of potential tricks for maintaining a permanent presence on IRC, though
the options may mean spending some money, depending on what you feel you need.

One way is to use an irc bouncer like znc (I seem to remember trying bitlbee in the past as
well.) This obviously usually requires a server to run it from.

Another option is to use https://www.irccloud.com which makes the experience a lot more like
using slack. It looks like a free account keeps you connected for 2 hours while inactive.

I could do with working out how to use matrix to bridge to irc.

Anyway, I appear to be up stupidly late tonight (UK time.)  I'll try to say more tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Gary

> Daniel
>

> On 14/01/2020 10:29, Gary Martin wrote:
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > I see that I hid a number of issues by mentioning that there is some infrastructure
work that is required. Updates to the project page and getting the issue tracker back up would
be amongst these. Getting a new set of tickets to help hand out the work would also clearly
be useful.

> > The current code is available from a number of places. I updated the README.md last
night to see if I could improve the instructions around getting the code, although clearly
that would only be seen when you have already seen the code. The svn repo is available at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/bloodhound/ but you can get a more targetted checkout with:

> >    svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/bloodhound/branches/bh_core_experimental/
> >
> > alternatively, as you spotted, it is mirrored at github and so you can clone and
checkout direct to the appropriate branch with:

> >    git clone --branch bh_core_experimental https://github.com/apache/bloodhound.git
> >
> > I can certainly understand finding subversion as a more difficult option when many
of us are just so much more used to git. I believe that in previous discussions we did see
most people who expressed an opinion that we should move to git so that can probably be expected
if we are happy that there are enough people interested in continuing the project.

> > Before encouraging people to use irc, I would still like to see people engaging
here so that it is easier to see how much interest there is in continuing.

> > That said, I am usually on irc and I can be usually be found in #bloodhound on freenode.
I am happy to have conversations there but I will also try to get useful conversation summarised
and shared here in some way if it does happen. Also, even if I am there, at times I may take
a fair time to respond so you may need some patience!

> > I would also like to organise some hack days so that interested people can be online
at the same time to try to share advice and see if we can make more progress that way. I could
look to see if we can use a slack channel somewhere appropriate if that would seem easier
than irc for more people.

> > Thanks!
> >
> > On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, at 6:16 AM, Daniel Brownridge wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your honest email Gary!
> >>
> >> I find myself some time available at the moment and would like to make
> >> myself useful to the project.
> >>
> >> I'll probably need a hand getting acquainted so will refrain from wading
> >> in on the design discussion till I'm up and running in some sense.
> >>
> >> Apologies for going over old ground, but https://bloodhound.apache.org/
> >> is obviously up but had dead links.
> >>
> >> So I'm wondering where the latest and greatest code is and if we have
> >> any open bug list I could get working on?
> >>
> >> I've found https://projects.apache.org/project.html?bloodhound which
> >> similarly has dead links.
> >>
> >> My Subversion is very rusty (haven't used in about 8 years) but can get
> >> up to speed if necessary.
> >>
> >> I did find https://github.com/apache/bloodhound which looks like the
> >> most recent thing someone was doing was playing around with SaltStack
> >> about 2 years ago.
> >>
> >> Is there anything else I've missed? Is anyone using IRC for the quick
> >> back and forth as I will probably have a few inane questions that people
> >> won't want to be spammed with.
> >>
> >> The last project I did was Django Rest Framework based so can probably
> >> hit the ground running there. UI stuff, again rusty as it's a while
> >> since I've done front end stuff but happy to give it a shot if that's
> >> what really needs doing.
> >>
> >> Basically I'm happy to be a minion for the time being until I've found
> >> my feet!
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Daniel

now to come through to the other side and start actually doing something.

enough interest from a wider group around contributing. Without an active community it may
be appropriate for the project to retire to the attic as has been mentioned in the past.

based on django [1] and the django rest framework [2]. In the main I just want this part to
be flexible in providing means to add any fields required by a project for categorising and
tracking details.

interested in seeing multiple UIs that are capable of using the main model including a main
web UI a cli client and other goodies.

[3] although I would certainly be interested in hearing arguments around alternatives. I have
been playing a little with things like plot.ly's Dash project [4] as well which might provide
us with a good way of building dashboards. Again, I would be interested in more alternatives
from the community.

the user model integrated into the core would be a good place to make some progress. That
said, anyone interested in playing with some of the ideas above would be very welcome!