bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: looking to get back on track or possible retirement to attic
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2020 05:39:31 GMT
Hi Gary, Daniel, et al,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 9:17 PM Gary Martin <gary.martin@physics.org> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Sun, 2 Feb 2020, at 9:12 AM, Daniel Brownridge wrote:

> > > I see that I hid a number of issues by mentioning that there is some
> infrastructure work that is required. Updates to the project page and
> getting the issue tracker back up would be amongst these. Getting a new set
> of tickets to help hand out the work would also clearly be useful.

Please note that I'm part of the Infra team, so can ensure the wheels are
greased. My available time for coding/projects is near zero, but am happy
to do chat/discuss and infra.

> > about we request a project to be created in JIRA for Bloodhound which we
> > can use in the meantime. I'm still new in ASF world and getting
> > established but I'd be more than happy to take this aspect on. I note
> > from https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa that:
> >
> > > If your ASF project wants to use JIRA, either read this wiki page
> > > aboutmigrating from Bugzilla
> > > <http://wiki.apache.org/general/ApacheBugzillaToJiraMigration>or
> > > please contact jira at apache.org to setup a new project.

Note the instructions have been updated since you viewed/pasted that. Jira
project setup is selfserve nowadays.

> How about we do this? I can already think of one of the first tickets
> > I'd like to register there! Get http://live.bloodhound.apache.org/
> > <http://bloodhound.apache.org/> up and running again.
>
> Sorry to go against that idea a little. For now I am intending to get the
> current bloodhound instance going again as a stop-gap before we can replace
> it with a new version. This is partly so we will have existing links
> restored and partly as we will probably desire some kind of migration of
> issues to the new project. I hope that makes some kind of sense.

How about a time-box on that? We can set up Jira on (say) June 1, if a
Bloodhound instance isn't up and running yet.

> In a similar vein it would make sense to have some CI going on so it
> > would be nice to have Bloodhound up on https://builds.apache.org/ to
> see
> > tests passing etc.
>
> Yes, we certainly used to have CI via buildbot. These days I do a fair
> amount of work with jenkins pipelines so I can see that working reasonably
> well.

The buildbot config is located at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/projects/bloodhound.conf

(that might not be available to the general public, but committers-only)

> I'm still finding my feet in ASF land - from reading general stuff on
> > Apache.org I think I need to sign ICLA or something before anyone lets
> > me near code?
>
> Well, it is certainly possible to contribute code to Apache projects
> without being a committer to the project. You can look at
> http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles for distinctions
> between contributors and committers. I may well be talking to you about
> this again shortly though.

The short answer is: send a few patches; if it all looks good, then the
Bloodhound PMC votes you in as a committer; you sign an ICLA and get an @
apache.org account. Off to the races!

> > > I would also like to organise some hack days so that interested people
> can be online at the same time to try to share advice and see if we can
> make more progress that way.
> > More than happy to get involved in a hack day. Just let me know when
> > works for you. I'm also trying to hang out in irc more! Totally off
> > topic but I'm on a laptop +allegary, JasonO- & macmaN all seem to be
> > there permanently, is this as simple as you're using a desktop you don't
> > turn off or are you doing something clever?

Please note that since about 1.5 years ago, the Foundation has an official,
supported Slack workspace at the-asf.slack.com. We have a Standard [NGO]
Plan, so all history is retained/searchable. That is nicer than IRC, if
people leave/return-to the channel. I've taken the liberty to create
#bloodhound there (since I'm on the-asf.s.c 24x7 for Infra work), and
invited Gary onto the channel.

> > On 14/01/2020 10:29, Gary Martin wrote:

> > > The current code is available from a number of places. I updated the
> README.md last night to see if I could improve the instructions around
> getting the code, although clearly that would only be seen when you have
> already seen the code. The svn repo is available at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/bloodhound/ but you can get a more
> targetted checkout with:
> > >
> > >    svn checkout
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/bloodhound/branches/bh_core_experimental/
> > >
> > > alternatively, as you spotted, it is mirrored at github and so you can
> clone and checkout direct to the appropriate branch with:
> > >
> > >    git clone --branch bh_core_experimental
> https://github.com/apache/bloodhound.git

Please note the above is a readonly mirror. Any PRs created against it will
imply the need to download a patch, and apply it to the svn repository.

> > > I would also like to organise some hack days so that interested people
> can be online at the same time to try to share advice and see if we can
> make more progress that way. I could look to see if we can use a slack
> channel somewhere appropriate if that would seem easier than irc for more
> people.

See above :-)

Cheers,
-g