bloodhound-dev mailing list archives

From "Gary Martin" <gary.mar...@physics.org>
Subject git repo for new bloodhound core work
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2020 12:55:51 GMT
Hi,

Judging by previous conversations long past (e.g. [1], [2]) I believe I effectively have a
mandate to switch to using git for at least some of our work and so I think we may as well
try this out with the experimental 'core' bloodhound stuff and see how we got from there.

I am not expecting to migrate any old bloodhound work to any new git repo - any legacy work
can stay in the subversion repo for any ongoing maintenance. Also, I am not intending to drop
any of our other current usages of subversion, be they public or private so, for instance,
the "site" pages can remain there for now as I don't see as big advantages in moving these
things for the moment.

>From my point of view, I have been working with git more than subversion long enough that
I am finding it a lot more difficult to work with. Trying to use git-svn doesn't feel a good
enough solution for this, particularly at clone time. Maybe there are other solutions but
I am not sure it is worth putting in more effort to work them out.

So, unless there are any big objections, I will be looking to get this done today. As there
is already a bloodhound mirror of sorts on github with the bloodhound name, I will be calling
the new repo

    "bloodhound-bhcore"

This name obviously gives an impression that there will be multiple repos associated with
the new bloodhound. If anyone cares to change my mind on this naming, I think the `bloodhound-`
prefix is sensible and certainly consistent with all other apache projects I have spotted
so it will just be a question of whether there is a better "subname."

Cheers,
    Gary

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e2ce321621205b7131047e21c776ffcacd8516ecbac70ea2f665d761%40%3Cdev.bloodhound.apache.org%3E
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c3956214bd35ff57526d7e63fac86e2613499f6fc473275345ee6b61%40%3Cdev.bloodhound.apache.org%3E