buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Where do we put specs: src/test or src/spec?
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:29:28 GMT
On Feb 22, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Alex Boisvert wrote:

> Anyone knows what is the reasoning to separate unit tests and specs in
> Rails?  Is there a good argument for separating them in
> Java/Scala/Groovy/...?

Specs are specs, tests are tests, not the same thing (see other e-mail
I just sent).  The same argument applies to Java, Scala, Groovy, even
FORTRAN (yes, they do have a TDD framework for FORTRAN, and it's
compiled using Rake).

> And I'll throw in a twist.  Do you run unit tests first, then
> specs?   Or
> vice-versa?  Does it matter?

Doesn't really matter.  When we do a Buildr release we run them first
as tests on JRuby to make sure we didn't break anything, and a second
time as specs on Ruby to also produce the HTML specification.

Assaf

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12376069/jbehave.rb