buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Git forking for fun and profit
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 16:56:56 GMT
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Alex Boisvert <boisvert@intalio.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, my takeaways from this thread are,
>
> 1) Buildr developers want to lower the barrier to contribution and
> participation -- many think using Git can help and therefore are ready to
> support it use.
>
> 2) Many people are concerned that using distributed SCM tools may lead to
> lesser community participation because it makes caving/forking easier -- or
> more generally it could lead to a more fragmented community
>
> Both of these arguments have merit and I don't believe there's a definitive
> indication as to which outcome is most likely.   This being said,
>
> 3) Buildr developers believe using Git is compatible with the Apache Way,
> and acknowledge the concerns and risks of fragmentation;  we believe the
> risks can be mitigated by clearly articulating that the focus of the
> project
> lies within Apache and that dSCM is a convenience, not a substitute for
> community participation. With great power comes increased responsibility.
>
> 4) Buildr developers want the freedom to experiment with dSCM and would
> prefer to do so with the concent of the incubator PMC.  We believe the
> incubator is a good place to run such experiment and we're willing to
> accept
> the guidance and mentoring of the IPMC to reach both objectives: increased
> participation and stronger community.   We assume the risk that it might
> affect the time and outcome for graduation, should the experiment fail, but
> we're convinced that we can make it happen.

Agree, but I want to clarify a couple of points:

Git is presently a choice, and we wont' be running off SVN, until Apache
infrastructure switches to Git.  It's an option available to anyone, and
they can choose to use it any way they want.

We can warn people of the potential for misuse, but we can't stop them from
using Git.  Alternatively, we can warn people of the potential for misuse,
and provide a way to use it responsibly, turning it into a benefit.  And I
articulated some of the ways in which Git could work better than SVN.

So it's about the way we make it easier on everyone to use Git responsibly,
so that -- not misuse -- becomes the default path and the one everybody can
follow by example.

Assaf

--
CTO, Intalio