buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Victor Hugo Borja" <vic.bo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git forking for fun and profit
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 04:00:43 GMT
Wow, Assaf, you're the man!

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com> wrote:

> Ff you find someone you trust who's already managing a Git clone that's

A little typo, it should read "If you.."

As a side note, now that Github is itself a gem server[1], I think we may
mention it
in the "Using Gems" section in more_stuff.textile or extending.textile.

IMHO, extension developers would benefit from hosting their code on Github
more than
doing it on rubyforge (even now that rubyforge supports git repos), first
because github
makes it really easy for others to fork or improve their work as you well
mentioned,
and second, all that users need to know is the vendor and name of the
extension,
so they can include it on their build.yaml:

gems:
   - vic-buildr-cool-aid  # fetch and install gem for:
github.com/vic/buildr-cool-aid

For extension developers they just have to touch the gemspec, commit, and
let github
create the new gem version.

[1] http://gems.github.com/

--