buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Git forking for fun and profit
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 16:25:53 GMT
For what it's worth, my takeaways from this thread are,

1) Buildr developers want to lower the barrier to contribution and
participation -- many think using Git can help and therefore are ready to
support it use.

2) Many people are concerned that using distributed SCM tools may lead to
lesser community participation because it makes caving/forking easier -- or
more generally it could lead to a more fragmented community

Both of these arguments have merit and I don't believe there's a definitive
indication as to which outcome is most likely.   This being said,

3) Buildr developers believe using Git is compatible with the Apache Way,
and acknowledge the concerns and risks of fragmentation;  we believe the
risks can be mitigated by clearly articulating that the focus of the project
lies within Apache and that dSCM is a convenience, not a substitute for
community participation. With great power comes increased responsibility.

4) Buildr developers want the freedom to experiment with dSCM and would
prefer to do so with the concent of the incubator PMC.  We believe the
incubator is a good place to run such experiment and we're willing to accept
the guidance and mentoring of the IPMC to reach both objectives: increased
participation and stronger community.   We assume the risk that it might
affect the time and outcome for graduation, should the experiment fail, but
we're convinced that we can make it happen.

I hope I'm not misrepresenting anything or anybody here;  please correct me
if you feel your opinion has not been represented here.

alex