buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Martijn Dashorst" <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git forking for fun and profit
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 08:22:01 GMT
Please note that using git is not supported by infrastructure. There
have been some very heated discussions about it, and I'm not going to
repeat that here. See for example general@ archives [1] to learn more
about Apache's hesitance regarding git usage.

Taken from this discussion, Noel Bergmann summarizes Apache's
hesitance to DSCM's best [2]:

"[W]e want our development to be visible to the Community, not done in
private and committed when finished.  Developers can always make more
or less transient branches to work on code, still in public view, and
merge back to shared locations."

Given the controversy of using distributed SCM's within Apache I
advise you to stop promoting git usage during incubation.

Martijn

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg16799.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg16828.html