buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Martijn Dashorst" <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git forking for fun and profit
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 16:22:32 GMT
On 5/1/08, Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com> wrote:
> Absolutely, and that's why I recommend forking with Git.

I'd rather folks *DON'T* fork, but supply patches through JIRA.

>  It's possible to use Git responsibly for open development.  You can check
>  the SVN commit log (we're all working with Git since a while), tell me if
>  you think we're holding back on sharing with the community:
>
>  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-buildr-commits/200804.mbox/browser

I see a lot of commits coming from two committers. I'm not a mentor,
but I do subscribe to this list to see how buildr is evolving
(possibly as a replacement for maven on projects). And I see very
little discussion on the dev@ list when compared to the activity in
the repository.

Perhaps it is too soon to call, but how does git promote discussion
between developers on the dev list?

>  What about non-committers?  They can only check code out of SVN, but they
>  can't do development in the open because there's no way to share what
>  they're working on.  It's all tucked away in some SVN working directory on
>  their computer.

Patches. This is the best way to track new committers. It provides the
best way to track the provenance of the code. Attach patch to JIRA
issue, check the box and you can incorporate the code into buildr.
There is no other way, except by making people committers. And you do
that by getting tired of committing their patches.

>  Git changes that by allowing everyone to use a public repository the way
>  only committers could use SVN branches: to start working on something in
>  public, and to share it with everyone else.  That way we get development in
>  the open instead of massive drops of patches.

In my short scan of the list and commit log, it limits the discussions
on the dev list.

>  And that's the practice we want to encourage.  We want to allow anyone,
>  committer or not, to come on the mailing list and say "here's something I'm
>  working on, care to check it out? can you help me work on it?"

But svn is not prohibitive in this regard. Wicket doesn't use git, and
is still able to help countless users with their problems or new
contributions. Roughly 60 Apache projects prove that (Apache)
community building works pretty darn good using svn, patches and
mailing lists. And this all happened without the use of git.

Martijn