buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>
Subject Re: OSGi support round two
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 16:42:30 GMT

On May 8, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Assaf Arkin wrote:

> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Antoine Toulme <antoine@lunar-ocean.com
> >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Assaf,
>>
>> I don't know if that is feasible, but can you identify if the
>> artifact is a
>> Maven artifact or a OSGi artifact before fetching it ?
>> Then depending on the nature of the artifact you would apply the
>> right
>> algorithm to check out the right resource.
>

> If foo depends on bar, which version matching algorithm do we use,
> foo's or
> bar's?

Seems like you'd have to use foo's, since you don't know what bar's is
until you fetch it.

> What happens when baz depends on foo and bar directly, and so also
> on bar
> transitively?

I guess you'd do the same thing you do when foo depends on bar-1.0.0
and baz depends on foo plus bar-1.2.0 directly.  I'm pretty sure that
maven uses the version that is defined closest to the project (so baz
would get bar-1.2.0 and hope that foo could work with it).  I don't
know how OSGi works.

But, yeah, if you wanted to use a different conflict resolution
mechanism (use the newest version, for instance), then the
incomparable versions problem rears its head again.

Rhett