buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: compiling c++ code with buildr
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:27:01 GMT
On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Ittay Dror <ittay.dror@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to compile C++ code using buildr. That is, create an extension that
> does this. I would like some directions and appreciate any help.
>
> My first issue is that buildr is very tightly integrated with Java.
> buildr.rb requires the java modules and compile.rb is very java oriented
> (compile all java files in one command whenever one source changes
> timestamp, 'build' calls 'compile' without being able to insert a 'link'
> task (or for compile to define subtasks)). Is there a way I am missing to
> get a 'bare bones' buildr?

So far the only three languages we have support for are Java-based, so we
only abstracted enough to support all three.

CompileTask just wraps the compiler, but all the work is done by the
compiler itself. The compiler determines when it needs to run (needed?) and
what do to when it runs (compile) and anything else that's language
specific. The Java compiler processes all the source files at once, the C
compiler doesn't have to.

You can do post-compiling work (even Java needs that, some libraries require
bytecode post-processing) in one of two ways:

1.  Enhance the compile task with another action. Any action you add will
run after the compiler is invoked. This is better if the action needs to run
whenever the project compiles (usually main code and test cases).
2.  Add another prerequisite to the project's build task (e.g.
project.build=>project.link).

Assaf