buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Better error messages and Growl notifications
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:35:46 GMT
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:41 AM, lacton <lacton@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com> wrote:
>> I want to know if they make your life better, just plan annoying, and
>> any ideas for making them even better.
>>

>> ==  Stack trace
> [...]
>> I'm toying around with making this a bit better, the latest change
>> will show any number of lines (usually just one) from the buildfile.
>> If you want to help find the right balance between two much
>> information and not enough, have a look at the
>> standard_exception_handling method in lib/buildr/core/application.rb
>
> +1 for me.
>
> Showing all concerned buildfile's lines even when not running with
> --trace saves time without crowding the screen too much. Most of the
> time, there is only one line to display anyway, but when there is two
> lines to show, I find it's usually a precious piece of information.
>
>> == Colors for errors
>>
>> I think it's a good idea to use a splash of color for salient
>> information.  So I started by making error messages show up in red,
>> that way they're noticeable when you run Buildr from the console
>> (warnings are now blue).  Any ideas on how to use colors more
>> effectively?
>
> I like your use of color. Could you give me an example of a blue message?
>
> What would you think of making these facilities available to buildr
> users? As a user, I would like to be able to log messages in a way
> that is consistent with buildr. I imagine four methods:
> trace "a message that will be displayed only if --trace option enabled"
> info "a message that will be displayed every time"
> warn "a message that will be displayed every time, in blue"
> error "a message that will be displayed every time, in red"

Next update will include trace, info, warn and error methods.  I also
changed the code in lib to use trace/info instead of if verbose/if

Separately, if anyone on the Windows side is interested in a short fun
project, apparently there's a version of Growl for Windows in the
works:
http://www.tripthevortex.com/growl/

And a different project along the same lines called Snarl (web site
currently down):
http://www.tripthevortex.com/growl/

Assaf