buildr-dev mailing list archives

From lacton <lac...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: Better error messages and Growl notifications
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:41:37 GMT
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com> wrote:
> I want to know if they make your life better, just plan annoying, and
> any ideas for making them even better.
>

> ==  Stack trace
[...]
> I'm toying around with making this a bit better, the latest change
> will show any number of lines (usually just one) from the buildfile.
> If you want to help find the right balance between two much
> information and not enough, have a look at the
> standard_exception_handling method in lib/buildr/core/application.rb

+1 for me.

Showing all concerned buildfile's lines even when not running with
--trace saves time without crowding the screen too much. Most of the
time, there is only one line to display anyway, but when there is two
lines to show, I find it's usually a precious piece of information.

> == Colors for errors
>
> I think it's a good idea to use a splash of color for salient
> information.  So I started by making error messages show up in red,
> that way they're noticeable when you run Buildr from the console
> (warnings are now blue).  Any ideas on how to use colors more
> effectively?

I like your use of color. Could you give me an example of a blue message?

What would you think of making these facilities available to buildr
users? As a user, I would like to be able to log messages in a way
that is consistent with buildr. I imagine four methods:
trace "a message that will be displayed only if --trace option enabled"
info "a message that will be displayed every time"
warn "a message that will be displayed every time, in blue"
error "a message that will be displayed every time, in red"

Or maybe the last one should be merged with the 'fail' method.

Lacton