buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>
Subject Re: suggestion for new feature: db migrations
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:56:18 GMT
Hi Shane,

On Sep 9, 2008, at 8:56 AM, Shane Witbeck wrote:

> DB migrations as part of the build/deploy process via Buildr:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/c5-db-migration/
>
> What do you think?

FWIW, I wrote (with some colleagues) a database migration system
called bering.  I mention it because it has an ant task, so you can
use it with buildr with no changes.

http://code.google.com/p/bering

It's more specifically a port of rails' ActiveRecord migrations, so
the implementation is a bit different from Carbon Five's.  In
particular, it uses a groovy DSL backed by a hibernate-like dialect
system (instead of plain SQL scripts) to support multiple databases.
(It was developed for use with a suite of clinical research
applications which support either PostgreSQL or Oracle.)

Deployment-wise, bering includes a ServletContextListener that can
automatically apply new migrations on application startup.

End plug.

Rhett