buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Ittay Dror <ittay.d...@gmail.com>
Subject project groups
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:54:40 GMT
Hi,

I have a situation where I have several components that use a set of
common projects. To illustrate, assume components (projects) A and B use
projects in 'common'. Now, what I would like to have is a way for a user
to build component A or B, so that the 'common' projects are also built.
The problem is that while all projects should be built, there's only
runtime dependency (so I can't use compile.with).

I could make A:build depend on common:build, but this looks awkward
(This is of course a toy example, in reality I have many components and
many projects).

In general, the issue is that currently projects belong to just one
group (one parent project) and I'd like a way to group them in other ways.

Any suggestions?

One thing that I thought of is to make recursive_task define
dependencies on child projects, rather than on the parent project (as is
the case today). Then, I could just add 'common' (defined before) to the
list of 'projects' of A or B and then after_define of A will make
A:build depend on common:build.

Thanks,
Ittay

Ittay Dror <ittay.dror@gmail.com>