buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Victor Hugo Borja" <vic.bo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing VERSION/REQUIRES with version/dependencies and using YAML files to pick versions of specific libraries
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 06:57:56 GMT
Assaf,

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com> wrote:

> There's no official API, but by convention you can get the version
> number from Ant.version (was: Ant::VERSION) and the list of
> dependencies from Ant.dependencies (was: Ant::REQUIRES).  These
> methods are there in case the truly motivated need to mess with them,
> maybe pick a random version of JUnit on each build, or replace JMock
> with JSerious.

We will need to document on modules having a dependencies method, the key
users can use in the yaml file. I like having
   ant: 1.7
but I'd also like something more qualified (and more rubyish..) like
   Buildr::Ant::version: 1
some modules may need different versions for the same artifact.

How could we handle cases like setting a fixed JUnit/TestNG version for
JtestR  to use.
Currently JtestR simply includes TestNG.dependencies, would this case
require the user
to override JtestR::dependencies ?

http://github.com/vic/buildr/commit/663cf568d34f8ca1ded2bc93332864cf0805e60c#L0R187

Another interesting case[1] is how to set the dependencies or versions
per project. Say a project needs a particular JMock or XMLBeans version.

I'm putting this first on Github for everyone to review, check, comment:
> http://github.com/assaf/buildr/commits/master

Great, I really like these reorg changes.

I've rebased my JtestR branch to use your changes, and
changed it not to use REQUIRES constant.

--
vic

Quaerendo invenietis.