buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Picking a chair
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:46:18 GMT
Hi guys,

So if you read my previous e-mail about graduation (if you didn't, go ahead
I'll wait) you saw that one of the important parts of the creation of a new
official project is to pick a chair (future Vice President of Apache Buildr,
nothing less). Actually the role is terribly unsexy. You're not expected to
be a leader of the project (although you can, it's just 2 different things
or "hats" in Apache lingo), just to represent the project in front of the
board and eventually the other projects (but any PMC member can do that
second part as well). So the chair is just a point of contact for the board
who takes the first blows (but most of the time they're nice, Jim can tell
you :) ) and someone who makes sure that nothing falls through the cracks.
He should ensure that board reports are submitted in due time, that the
project and the community are healthy and that no IP issue arises. The best
description of it I heard was from Leo Simons who called it "project
lubricant". See [1] for another shorter take.

So I'd like to invite eventual volunteers for the role of chair to come
forth. If there is more than one volunteer, hopefully they can figure it out
between them, otherwise we'll have to vote but I hope it won't come to that.
Feel free to ask if you have questions.

Cheers,
Matthieu

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#PMC