buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: Graduation process
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:44:44 GMT
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Alex Boisvert <boisvert@intalio.com> wrote:

> Charter by triangulation:
>
> "... that the Apache Buildr project be responsible for the creation and
> maintenance of build system, software configuration and software lifecycle
> management related tools."

I would say the net is too wide. Maven, Ant, Make or Rake could all qualify.
A bit of overlap is not necessarily a problem but that would be a complete
overlap. I'd look for something a bit more discriminating with wordings like
scripting based, multi-language or dependency management.

Ant has its resolution on its web site and I fished the Maven one from what
feels like another century, when the board meetings where much shorter than
now:

http://ant.apache.org/mission.html
http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2003/board_minutes_2003_02_26.txt

IMO they're both very good examples of what we shouldn't do :) Both reflect
an older time when the foundation was much smaller, we should know better
now.

Matthieu