buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Picking a chair
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2008 01:45:22 GMT
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Alex Boisvert <boisvert@intalio.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Alex Boisvert <boisvert@intalio.com> wrote:
>
>> You got me at "project lubricant".    I volunteer for the terribly unsexy
>> role of chair.
>>

> Hold that thought for a moment, though.  I'd like to first extend a huge
> thank to Matthieu.  Matthieu has been doing a great job keeping up with the
> administrative side of the project since the start, initiating and guiding
> the necessary actions when required.  I really look up to him when it comes
> to understanding Apache the organization and the process side of things.
> Buildr would probably still be far from graduation if Matthieu didn't run
> the ship tight and pushed things forward.

... and also for answering a lot of questions and providing background
information, often repeatedly, so we can distill all that info and
share just the relevant bits on the mailing list. Apache believes in
recording everything for posterity, unfortunately, often in the form
of long-winded mailing list discussions that few dare follow; it's the
equivalent of oral tradition passed by the village elders to the next
generation. Not saying Matthieu is old or anything ...

> For people not privy to the politics behind the curtain, Matthieu has been
> lobbying with me and Assaf for somebody to take on the role of chair.
> Assaf and I both understand it's an important role to play and we were both
> ready to step up if nobody else did.  At the same time, being busy men
> having multitudes of interests and all, we both wanted the *other* to do
> it.  In some ways, few people come to Apache for the processes.  People who
> enjoy process are already busy certifying their business for the Capability
> Maturity Model Integration (CMMI), or running their local school board.  The
> rest of us come to Apache for the community and the code.
>
> So for the people that must know, we resolved through an official coin toss
> with witnesses, a priest and a rabbi.
>
> And I lost... I mean, I WON!!

Congratulations!

Assaf