buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Picking a chair
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:14:21 GMT
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Alex Boisvert <boisvert@intalio.com> wrote:

> You got me at "project lubricant".    I volunteer for the terribly unsexy
> role of chair.

Hold that thought for a moment, though.  I'd like to first extend a huge
thank to Matthieu.  Matthieu has been doing a great job keeping up with the
administrative side of the project since the start, initiating and guiding
the necessary actions when required.  I really look up to him when it comes
to understanding Apache the organization and the process side of things.
Buildr would probably still be far from graduation if Matthieu didn't run
the ship tight and pushed things forward.

For people not privy to the politics behind the curtain, Matthieu has been
lobbying with me and Assaf for somebody to take on the role of chair.
Assaf and I both understand it's an important role to play and we were both
ready to step up if nobody else did.  At the same time, being busy men
having multitudes of interests and all, we both wanted the *other* to do
it.  In some ways, few people come to Apache for the processes.  People who
enjoy process are already busy certifying their business for the Capability
Maturity Model Integration (CMMI), or running their local school board.  The
rest of us come to Apache for the community and the code.

So for the people that must know, we resolved through an official coin toss
with witnesses, a priest and a rabbi.

And I lost... I mean, I WON!!

I told Matthieu I'd be willing to take on the role for a year and then
reassess.  That's assuming, of course, that nobody else wants to step in and
run the show.  Anybody?  Anybody??

alex