buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Grotzke <martin.grot...@javakaffee.de>
Subject Re: Quick Start Documentation
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:47:53 GMT
On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 12:14 -0500, Daniel Spiewak wrote:
> > Is it worth to provide an overview over the built in tasks (compile,
> > package, clean, ...), or at least mention, that "buildr -T" is very
> > helpful?
>

> I think we mention buildr --help somewhere in the document (or maybe it's in
> the install guide).  I think that listing the available tasks would just add
> extra noise though.  You were the one who wanted to trim things down!  :-)
You've got me there :)

What about mentioning "buildr -T"? I could imagine mentioning this as a
tip in the section about custom tasks, because the natural question when
reading about custom tasks would be "what tasks are already available,
and what's left to me?"

> > One developer said it would be helpful to show, how artifacts can be
> > defined from locally stored jars
>

> Not difficult to do, but again: is it worth the extra material?  To show
> this, we need to at least give a cursory explanation of artifacts-as-tasks,
> otherwise the instructions will be black magic.
Well, I just noticed that right now (in your quickstart branch) there's
again the explanation how archives (.zip) can be downloaded and that/how
artifacts are extracted from the downloaded file. IIRC I had replaced
this by a tip mentioning, that buildr provides several methods for
retrieving artifacts. I'd prefer a general tip that buildr can do a lot
more that what's described in the quickstart and refer to the
appropriate documentation page.

Is it possible that I'm just looking at the wrong quickstart? What's the
leading repo/branch?

> The question araised if buildr has any support for archetypes. I said
> > that's not the case, right?
>

> Nope, no archetypes.  Given that it is so much less verbose than Maven,
> archetypes are not quite as critical.  That might be an interesting feature
> to add sometime in the future, but it would probably require a better Maven
> converter.
Agree.

Cheers,
Martin