buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: 12 Things to Know about Buildr
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 04:47:06 GMT
On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Daniel Spiewak <djspiewak@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this is probably overly pedantic, but neither Buildr nor Rake
> perform a topological sort.  As mentioned, Rake resolves dependencies at
> runtime.  All it has to do is mark tasks as 'in progress' or 'done' as
> necessary.  No sorting is required, which is rather fortunate since
> topological sorting is much more difficult to get right.

I don't think this is pedantic at all -- and you're quite right -- Rake
doesn't do any sorting at all.   I was under a mistaken impression.  Reading
the code just now... Rake just ensures a task's dependencies are executed
first and that a task is not part of its own dependency chain.  I'll update
the page.

thanks,
alex