buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Spiewak <djspie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quick Start Documentation
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 18:47:47 GMT
> +1 on "Buildr for Maven users" and "Buildr for Ant users";  I think most of
> our users are refugees and giving them an introduction that illustrates
> common patterns and examples from Ant/Maven converted to Buildr would be a
> great evangelization^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmigration tactic.

I thought about doing two separate quick starts: one for maven and one for
ant.  However, when it came time to actually write them, I realized that
almost all of the material would be common to both.  I think there is only
one spot where the tutorial diverges, with one paragraph exclusively for
Maven refugees, while the next is the same concepts from the perspective of
Ant.  Other than that, the concepts presented are pretty general.

> My other documentation wish lists are 1) FAQ, 2) something that introduces
> Rake and how it relates to Buildr and 3) a short tutorial/appendix about
> Ruby scripting focused on build-oriented tasks (e.g. copying, moving files,
> executing external processes, etc.).

I think an FAQ is an absolute must.  There again is something I looked for
when I was first coming to Buildr.  I also agree with Martin in that Rake is
foundational (literally) to Buildr, and knowledge of Rake only clarifies
Buildr and the way it does things.  A short intro to Rake within the context
of Buildr would be quite appropriate, I think; but I think that I'm not the
right person to create that one, given my extremely limited knowledge of
Rake.

Daniel