buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Spiewak <djspie...@gmail.com>
Subject Prototype Generic Doc Framework
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:45:44 GMT
As if I wasn't already working on enough experiments, I have now created a
(very rough) prototype of a generic documentation framework for Buildr.  The
core problem is that we purport to support multiple languages, but that
support doesn't extend beyond compilation, testing and interactive
shell-ing.  The only documentation generator currently supported is
javadoc.  Even worse, I'm pretty sure that there is no graceful failure for
attempting to javadoc a Scala or Groovy project.

Anyway, I have abstracted common functionality from the javadoc task and
derived a prototype scaladoc implementation.  Everything formerly named
"javadoc" is now just-plain "doc" (with a deprecated `javadoc` method for
legacy support).  It's dead-easy to derive a new documentation task, so we
can easily create another for GroovyDoc (or whatever it is they call it).  I
also plan to add support for VScaladoc, which is an RDoc-like scaladoc
tool.  Mixed-sources projects (joint Scala/Java or Groovy/Java) are
currently unsupported, but I do have a vague plan to handle it.

This is all *very* preliminary, but I thought it serves as an interesting
proof of concept.  If anyone wants to help flesh this out, you can find the
implementation in the doc-framework branch of my GitHub fork:

git://github.com/djspiewak/buildr.git / doc-framework

Daniel