buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Spiewak <djspie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quick Start Documentation
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:14:31 GMT

> The sentence
> "So far, we have seen how Buildr can automatically infer what amounts to
> dozens of lines of build.xml contents, all based on a buildfile and a
> directory structure."
> is not very clear:
> -> what about
> "So far, we have seen how Buildr can automatically infer what is
> expressed with dozens of lines of build.xml contents. Buildr does this
> all based on a buildfile and a directory structure."

Corrected.

> Is it worth to provide an overview over the built in tasks (compile,
> package, clean, ...), or at least mention, that "buildr -T" is very
> helpful?

I think we mention buildr --help somewhere in the document (or maybe it's in
the install guide).  I think that listing the available tasks would just add
extra noise though.  You were the one who wanted to trim things down!  :-)

> One developer said it would be helpful to show, how artifacts can be
> defined from locally stored jars

Not difficult to do, but again: is it worth the extra material?  To show
this, we need to at least give a cursory explanation of artifacts-as-tasks,
otherwise the instructions will be black magic.

The question araised if buildr has any support for archetypes. I said
> that's not the case, right?

Nope, no archetypes.  Given that it is so much less verbose than Maven,
archetypes are not quite as critical.  That might be an interesting feature
to add sometime in the future, but it would probably require a better Maven
converter.

Daniel