buildr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Daniel Spiewak <djspie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quick Start Documentation
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:20:03 GMT
Two reasons.  First, explaining the whole download bit does add a bit of
extra complexity to the quickstart.  However, more importantly, not all
libraries offer direct JAR downloads.  In fact, most are just zip files
containing the library jar along with documentation, source code, etc...  I
think the most common use case -- and the one which concerns most Ant users
-- is using JARs off of the local drive.

Daniel

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Ittay Dror <ittayd@tikalk.com> wrote:

>
>
> Daniel Spiewak wrote on 07/30/2009 11:29 PM:
>
>  I have removed the misleading section (my fault!) and replaced it with
>> something a little more realistic: how to use local JAR files.  I also
>>
>>
> now according to the example i still need to download the jar manually. why
> not keep the old way but simply use the jar download, not the zip:
>
> DBPOOL = ‘net.snaq:dbpool:jar:4.8.3’
> download artifact(DBPOOL) => ‘
> http://www.snaq.net/java/DBPool/DBPool_v4.8.3.jar’
>
> define ‘killer-app’ do
> project.version ‘0.1.0’
> compile.with DBPool
>
> package :jar
>
> end
>
>
>
>  looked into adding a snibblet about buildr -T, but I couldn't find a
>> reasonable spot for it.  The problem is that buildr -T doesn't show custom
>> tasks, so it would require quite a few caveats if we stuck it in the
>> Custom
>> Tasks section.
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Daniel Spiewak <djspiewak@gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>  > I think we mention buildr --help somewhere in the document (or maybe
>>>
>>>
>>>> it's in
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> the install guide).  I think that listing the available tasks would
>>>>> just
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> add
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> extra noise though.  You were the one who wanted to trim things down!
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>  :-)
>>>> You've got me there :)
>>>>
>>>> What about mentioning "buildr -T"? I could imagine mentioning this as a
>>>> tip in the section about custom tasks, because the natural question when
>>>> reading about custom tasks would be "what tasks are already available,
>>>> and what's left to me?"
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Ok, I can see that fitting fairly nicely.  I'll add it when I get the
>>> chance.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>  Well, I just noticed that right now (in your quickstart branch) there's
>>>> again the explanation how archives (.zip) can be downloaded and that/how
>>>> artifacts are extracted from the downloaded file. IIRC I had replaced
>>>> this by a tip mentioning, that buildr provides several methods for
>>>> retrieving artifacts. I'd prefer a general tip that buildr can do a lot
>>>> more that what's described in the quickstart and refer to the
>>>> appropriate documentation page.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> I disagree, that's why I re-added the section you removed.  :-)  I think
>>> the fact that Buildr can download and extract artifacts automagically
>>> from
>>> zip files is really a huge selling point, particularly for people like me
>>> who had always been skeptical about Maven because of the restricting
>>> nature
>>> of its repositories.
>>>
>>> We could add a quick line that mentions how powerful the artifact task is
>>> and then links to the detailed docs.  That would cover the "artifact from
>>> local jar" case, but I think we really need to leave the downloading zip
>>> archive bit as it stands.
>>>
>>>  Is it possible that I'm just looking at the wrong quickstart? What's the
>>>
>>>
>>>> leading repo/branch?
>>>>
>>>>
>>> I think you're probably on the right branch.  The current HEAD of the
>>> quickstart development is at git://github.com/djspiewak/buildr.git /
>>> quickstart.  Feel free to pull from this branch, make changes, etc.
>>>  Before
>>> I merge back into trunk/, I'll grab any of your changes and take them
>>> along
>>> with me.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Tikal <http://www.tikalk.com>
> Tikal Project <http://tikal.sourceforge.net>
>
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message