buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <as...@labnotes.org>
Subject Re: Buildr's example build scripts
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:54:32 GMT
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Daniel Spiewak <djspiewak@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not really sure that's the best example.  Buildr's build requirements
> are quite unique, and while the buildfile linked is very concise, it's also
> not very informative.  I think that we should instead go with a contrived
> example showing a main project in Java with WAR packaging, along with
> subprojects in Scala and Groovy (and maybe one in Java, just for
> completeness).  It should also have a small custom task.
>
> One slight problem with this is Buildr infers so much from the directory
> structure that you really don't get the whole picture with just a
> buildfile.  Maybe there's some sneaky graphical way to superimpose the
> buildfile contents over the directory structure...

That's why I'd like to see a buildfile from a real open source project. You
can check out the sources, run Buildr on it, get a sense for where files are
located, what gets created, change source file to see if Buildr recompiles,
etc.

Buildr's own buildfile is pretty bad, as far as examples go. It was only
intent to run one task on behalf of rake compile, very atypical and doesn't
follow conventions.

Assaf