buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>
Subject Re: idea task
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:32:30 GMT
Hi,

On Mar 17, 2011, at 9:01 AM, Jean-Philippe Caruana wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We recently switched to buildr 1.4.5 and it's working very fine. Thanks everyone for
all your work on buildr : I am very happy with it.

> I have a few questions/remarks about the new idea task. First, it seems to work better
than the previous one, so good job !

> I found problems with managing test dependencies : they should be marked as scope='TEST'
in the idea file ; in my code base, it made my whole project not compiling. I have written
a spec and implemented it, but I'm not very happy with my coding : I found that changing the
idea.rb wasn't easy (xml is changed by reference - side effects, confusion between main dependencies
and test dependancies) and I made a choice (test = ! export) that is not correct. If I want
to be more precise in my implementation, I would be obliged to rewrite the test_dependency_details
method, but I might need some help for that (I'm not a rubyist). I don't know how to add this
as a test, since my implementation passes all tests.
> Should I open a bug under JIRA ? Should I propose a patch or should I make a pull request
under github ?

I didn't realize that IDEA supported dependency scope now. That's good to know. (Apparently[1]
it was added in IDEA 9.)

To track this request, you should open an issue in buildr's JIRA. If you want to supply a
patch you attach it there. (This process is required by the ASF.) I haven't looked at your
patch, so I'm not sure if it's the right solution.

> Please review my commit here : https://github.com/jpcaruana/buildr/commit/7acd5f7fb68ddde9705e4ea8a366147fe358bf25
> This is working fine for our code base, but might not be correct for other situations
(since I made a drastic choice, as I explained earlier).

> Also, a remark. The CLI API changed : in the past, a simple "buildr idea" was ok to generated
idea files, but now we have to do a "buildr idea:generate". This is inconsistent with the
eclipse plugin (still "buildr eclipse"), makes me think of the infamous "mvn eclipse:eclipse"
(argh ! eclipse twice !) and shows implementation details to the final user. What do you think
about it ? Should I file a bug for that too ?

I agree that it should be possible to do just "buildr idea". You should open another issue
for this request. As a workaround (and this is what I've been doing), you can add an idea
task at the top level of your buildfile:

task :idea => "idea:generate"

That will only work for the top-level task (i.e., if you want to just regenerate one iml,
you'll still have to use idea:generate in the submodule directory).

Rhett

[1]: http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/webhelp/dependencies-tab.html