buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Guymon <michael.guy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Experiences with transitive dependencies in buildr
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:43:33 GMT

So I have slowly being making progress on a dependency manager for
buildr and have put together a very simple implementation based on
Bundler using Aether for the transitive resolution. I would love some
feed back on what I have pieced together so far.

https://github.com/mguymon/lockjar

A Jarfile is used to specify the repos and dependencies, an example:

repository 'http://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/groups/public-jboss'
jar "com.slackworks:model-citizen:0.1"
jar "org.apache.mina:mina-core:2.0.4" do exclude "com.package",
"com.another.package:blah:7" end

Would produce a Jarfile.lock with absolute paths to the local jars, an
example:

---

dependencies:
   com.slackworks:model-citizen:0.1: /home/zinger/devel/projects/swx/lockjar/tmp/test-repo/com/slackworks/model-citizen/0.1/model-citizen-0.1.jar
   org.apache.mina:mina-core:jar:2.0.4: /home/zinger/devel/projects/swx/lockjar/tmp/test-repo/org/apache/mina/mina-core/2.0.4/mina-core-2.0.4.jar
   org.slf4j:slf4j-api:jar:1.6.1: /home/zinger/devel/projects/swx/lockjar/tmp/test-repo/org/slf4j/slf4j-api/1.6.1/slf4j-api-1.6.1.jar

repositories:
   - http://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/groups/public-jboss

The Jarfile.lock is standard yaml, not sure if a custom dsl is needed.
Similar to bundler, the Jarfile.lock has to be generated before getting
access to the dependencies. Once the Jarfile.lock is generated, Buildr
can reuse it instead of checking for transitive dependencies every time.

Next step is moving the project towards something that integrates nicely
with Buildr. Maybe allow the Jarfile to be defined directly in the
buildfile?

thanks,
Michael

On 11/04/2011 06:13 AM, Peter Tillotson wrote:
> This sounds pretty good - some thoughts inline below
>
>> Dependency Resolution
>>
>> * Dependency resolution is optional
>> * Resolve Transitive Dependencies for an artifact(s)
>> * Create/Rebuild a dependency file
>> * Lock dependencies based on the dependency file
>
> Transitive resolution should be capable of producing the same dependencies as maven (
possibly via an interface compatible plugin ) and support the full maven spec.

> I'd add  filtering and blacklist has been useful as well. I always have to package(:war).libs.reject!
{ |lib| lib.group == 'servlet-api' } this is a reasonable compile dependency that shouldn't
get into runtime.
> If the dependencies file something like the following
>
> runtime:
>     - org.apache.cassandra:cassalndra-all:1.0.1
>
>     exclude:
>     - *:servlet-api:*
>     - *:junit:*
>
> That would be pretty handy - I really like the idea of the dependency report effectively
acting as the whitelist / blacklist so when the universe changes my build file doesn't necessarily
have to :-)

>> Maven interop
>>
>> * Generate a maven POM based on a Buildr project
>> * Create&  deploy maven friendly artifacts based on a Buildr project
>>
>> Would there be any benefit for having Ivy interoperability as well?

performance impact when not using transitive dependencies?