buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <alex.boisv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving _(:target, :generated) to top level of project
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:20:50 GMT
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Peter Donald <peter@realityforge.org> wrote:

> layout = Layout::Default.new
> layout[:target, :generated] = "generated"
>
> define "myproject", :layout => layout do
>   project.clean { rm_rf _(:target, :generated) }
> end
>
> The main reason for this seems to be ease of integration into IDEs.
>
> I only really use IntelliJs IDEA but I know that at least for that IDE
> we exclude the intermediate directory (i.e. _(:target) ) from the
> project and this makes it impossible to view the generated source in
> the IDE. So to enable development in the IDE they move it out of the
> target hierarchy.
>
> * Do you think we should make this the default?

We use target/generated because it's the Maven standard and the least
surprising for most people. Since it's the default, it's hard(er) to find
evidence that it suits people's needs.

I think it would rather stick with what we have now given the precedent and
the somewhat arbitrary nature of layouts.

> * Alternatively, should we create an addon that makes this the
> "default" behaviour?

Yep, I think that would be the right way to go.

alex