buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: 1.5.1 roadmap
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2016 19:50:42 GMT
On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Antoine Toulme <antoine@toulme.name> wrote:

> I have a few big items in mind for this release:
> -Work around Buildr itself, fix the web site, add more examples that can
> also be used as integration tests.
> -Take a hard look at the addons folder. Knock out what’s old and crusty,
> and maybe move a few into the main code line (I started using custom_pom
> and I like it a lot!)
> -Communicate and analyze what’s going on. Buildr has been very quiet for
> the longest time, but the gem downloads are nothing less than impressive.
>

>From my observations it seems that Buildr is mostly in use at big
organisations with complex build processes that none the less want some
sort of standard build process across their system. It could explain the
high usage with not a lot of chat. I wonder if we can simplify the getting
started/installation process that we may start to get people interested
from the OSS world?

> -Our installation story needs an overhaul and we should look at Docker
> onbuild, and if there are new ways to bundle Buildr into an executable.

All of these sound like good ideas. That last step could be of particular
use for windows users who tend to have a little more difficulty getting
started. A few plugins may have to be looked at (namely IDEA and eclipse
project generation) so that they can generate projects appropriate for the
outer OS but other than that I think dockerizing it would be a very
interesting idea.

There may also be other issues that arise but several people who use
virtualbox to run buildr on windows report this as the only major problem.

> I also think that 1.5 was a big release, and I would be in favor of
> reacting quickly and cutting a release if - when we see bug reports coming
> in.

Yep.

We are doing our roll out this next week so hopefully we will identify any
issues soon.

> Ideally, I’d like 1.5.1 to be out by Christmas unless something comes up.
>
> What do you think?

All sounds good.

--
Cheers,