buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Referencing other buildr projects.
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 02:35:06 GMT
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Maarten Billemont <lhunath@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is it possible to have a common buildfile in root and a buildfile for both
> project X and Y?  For as little as I know buildr so far, I don't think so.
>
> I was considdering the possibility of adding a require '../X/buildfile'
>  but that would probably be a bad idea even if it did work.
>
> The main problem I have with referencing X:b as an artifact instead of as
> a project is that I loose several buildr dependency management capabilities
> and when I do a buildr eclipse, I will have a dependency on a JAR, not the
> source of that JAR.  Also, it's far more annoying to develop on both
> projects that way, since changes to X:b only have an effect on Y after
> buildr install'ing X:b.
>
> I'm hoping to avoid all that by being able to reference to X:b as a
> project instead of as an artifact.

To do anything useful, Buildr would have to know all the tasks in both
buildfiles, so it can execute only those tasks that need executing.  That
means if will have to load both at once to make any sense of the
dependencies, which is not much different from loading one buildfile with
both project definitions.

Having one buildfile is just easier to manage.

Assaf