buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Umlauts
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 02:42:33 GMT
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Ingo Schmidt <antispam@der-ingo.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Only now I have discovered that German umlauts (and possibly all other
> kinds of special characters) are getting messed up when they are being
> archived in WAR (and probably any other archive).
> For example, if I do have a file called:
> project_root/src/main/webapp/download/ÄÖÜäöüß.txt
>
> then it will later end up as:
> EAR/WAR/download/&#9472;Í&#9604;õ÷³&#9600;.txt
>
> I am working under Windows XP Pro. Maybe this doesn't happen under Linux.
> Is there any way to fix this or a workaround (except renaming those files,
> which I actually don't want to do)? Is this a buildr problem or a problem of
> ruby/rake?
>
> Does anyone else experience these problems? I am using buildr from SVN
> repository.

I got good results on OS/X, but on XP I couldn't get past stage one,
creating a file with umlauts in its name.  It ended up creating a file with
weird characters, and then reading it as an entirely different filename.
 I'm guessing there's some encoding happening, but I don't know where.

Maybe changing the value of $KCODE could help (I just set it to UTF-8 in
trunk, which didn't seem to make much of a difference either way)?

Assaf