buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: POM-Only Transitive Dependencies
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 01:35:39 GMT
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Daniel Spiewak <djspiewak@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's a fairly common pattern in Maven2 for complex projects to release
> their
> artifacts as separate modules, often with one (or more) "super-modules"
> which act as transitive dependency aggregators.  For example,
> Databinder<http://databinder.net>(though I have read that Hibernate
> does the same thing for certain
> dependency paths).  There is an apparently known
> bug<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BUILDR-9>in Buildr where it
> attempts to download a JAR for
> *every* dependency in the chain, including those for which no JAR exists.
>
> An experimental patch was attached to the BUILDR-9 issue which supposedly
> fixes the problem, but I applied the patch and installed Buildr from the
> SVN
> and it still seems to be an issue.  This seems like a simple thing to fix
> (as the patch demonstrates), but I obviously don't know enough about the
> architecture to do it.

The trick is to actually write a test case to verify that the patch works,
and we don't accidentally break it when we change how POM.load works, which
was required for other bugs.  We'll get it closed before 1.3.

>  Also, Gem development is painful on Windows.  :-S
> Are there any plans to fix this in the near future?  All of the issues
> I've
> seen related to it seem to be conspicuously silent in terms of developer
> feedback.  What's the official word?

We just entered "get it stable for a 1.3 release" stage, so no more big
changes to trunk.  Anything specific you're seeing?

Assaf