buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Newbie: More Issues
Date Sat, 17 May 2008 01:53:52 GMT
On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Andrew Pietsch <andrew@pietschy.com> wrote:

> Ok,
>
> So I managed to find the antlr task and I've had some limited success.
> Here's some observations.
>
>   1. The antlr task wasn't referenced in the documentation and the code
>   itself didn't have any API documentation.  Not sure if this is an
> accidental
>   omission or not, but I was forced to find read and understand the source
>   code before I could use it, which isn't great from a ruby newbie point of
>   view.  I understand though I'm probably starting out on a edge case.

There's a few tasks, Antlr is one of them, that we took over from the Ode
project because they worked, but we don't have any volunteer to give them
the proper TLC, so they're undocumented and untested.  So if anyone wants to
volunteer ... writing test cases and documentation could be fun!

>   2. The generated code was placed in target/generated/antlr, which felt a
>   bit weird to start with (given that IDEA now has to point to directory
> under
>   target for a source path).  I'm happy enough with that but it would
> probably
>   be a nice addition to the Projects/DirectoryStructure documentation.
>   3. On running `buildr idea7x` IDEA happily included
>   target/generated/antlr in my projects source path (which was some nice
>   magic), but it also included target/resources as well.   Now I have both
>   src/main/resource and target/main/resource on my source path (so I have
>   duplicates when I search).
>   4. The idea7x module also didn't seem to update my module (.iml) files
>   once they have been created.  Thus I had to delete them and re-run the
>   target.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.  Also the maven repo
> variable
>   had to point to ~/.m2/repositiory and not ~/.m2 which seem a bit weird.
>  The
>   user experience could easily be sweetend here by having the idea7x task
>   printed out a little help not after running.

I don't know this task well enough, but ideally the IDE tasks should rebuild
all their files whenever you change your buildfile.

>   5. I wanted to create a gen-src task so I could generate the source
>   independent of compiling i.e. buildr gen-src.  I couldn't really find an
>   example of defining your own task (i.e. a equivalent ant's <target
>   name=...>).  This sort of thing is still very daunting for a ruby newbie.
>   think examples of this form would be really beneficial in getting Java
>   developers with little ruby experience up and running faster.

Buildr uses Rake, so for writing simple tasks you can check the Rake
documentation:
http://docs.rubyrake.org/user_guide/chapter03.html

It's on my todo list to write a tutorial for using tasks, specifically for
Buildr.

Assaf

--
CTO, Intalio