buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: javadoc
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:15:13 GMT
On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Victor Hugo Borja <vic.borja@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think some users may expect the javadoc task to be recursive just like
> compile task, so that executing
>
>   > buildr javadoc
>
> would generate javadoc for all projects defined.
>
> Should it be made recursive? If so, all it takes is adding
> project.recursive_task('javadoc') at java/compilers.rb:363

We can add that, but result is that it will recursively run all the
javadoc tasks which will recursively do nothing interesting.

Javadoc tasks by default don't do anything, you need to tell each task
which source directories it should operate on.  The reason for that:
if the default behavior was for javadoc to run with the same paths as
compile.sources, and run recursively, you will get a lot of javadoc
output directories (one per project).  That's not what people want.
Most often, it's consolidated output from several different sources
(typically just the APIs), that way you get the package list, indexes,
cross reference working across the entire documentation.

To accommodate for that, javadoc expects that you'll tell it exactly
which sources you want to document (typically projects), and you only
need one task to do that.

Assaf