buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Antoine Toulme" <anto...@lunar-ocean.com>
Subject Re: Error installing rjb while installing buildr
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:07:29 GMT
Hi Ittay, please see comments below:

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Ittay Dror <ittayd@tikalk.com> wrote:

> this is more a question on the RJB forum, not buildr.

I figured that later today and posted there.
http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=30307&forum_id=8190

> anyways, the way RJB is built is that the file ext/load.c has precompiler
> conditions based on predefined variables that define ARCH and JVM_TYPE,
> based on that, RJB knows where to load libjvm.so from.
>

> this is not a very good solution (look in the rjb forum for a post i made
> there detailing why), you have two options:
>
> 1. modify ext/load.c to include another #elsif for PPC, then create a gem
> and install it
>
> 2. i can send you a modified version of rjb that i have that uses an
> environment variable JVM_LIB to tell it where to load the library from. this
> means that you'll have to export it before running buildr
>

> please note that in even if it finds the library, it doesn't mean it will
> be able to load it (i wasn't able to load it on hpux 11.11). it's a tricky
> business.

Sounds tricky indeed. For other unrelated reasons, the best workaround is to
use jruby, so I won't go further down this path.
Thanks for the answer!
Antoine
--
http://www.lunar-ocean.com/blog