buildr-users mailing list archives

From Ittay Dror <itt...@tikalk.com>
Subject Re: Postponing test compile to after all modules have compiled
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 04:08:52 GMT

Alex Boisvert wrote:
> The only segfaults I've seen on Ubuntu were cases using JDK 1.6 with RJB.
> You can use either JDK 1.5 or switch to JRuby if you want to use JDK 1.6.

I have run into many segfaults. The reason is usually a deep recursion
which exhausts the execution stack (a ruby stack of 20 methods is
something like 400 c functions stack). Since Rake uses recursion to
invoke prerequisites of tasks and since Buildr uses a lot of task
dependencies (e.g. compile.with project('B')), this happens when the
project tree gets large. As far as I remember this happens on *nix
systems, not Windows.

The way I debug this is by using trace to find where approximately the
crash happens and then turning on method tracing in ruby.

If running on *nix, try increasing the stack limit ('ulimit -s unlimited')

HTH,
Ittay

--
Ittay Dror <ittayd@tikalk.com>