buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Spiewak" <djspie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interactive Shell Support
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:02:25 GMT
> I think for most builds you only need one shell, so a per-buildfile
> shell is easier to work with, configure, etc.

The whole point to the shell framework is to launch a shell easily with the
CLASSPATH already configured.  If we don't do that on a per-project basis,
it's useless.

> I know scenarios where I would like to (or have and so use) multiple
> shells, but those are task-based not project-based. For example, when
> working with Rails, I use the server console, database console
> (embedded sqlite), and bash/irb for the client.
>
> So it would be nice if I could easy define new shells from the buildfile,
> say:
>
> ShellTask.define_task('client').with( lots of dependencies )

That would be pretty cool, though I'm not quite sure how it would work.
This might also be useful if you want to start a shell which always
pre-inits itself with some code (a bunch of imports for example, or a long
setup task).

Daniel