buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Spiewak" <djspie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interactive Shell Support
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:42:22 GMT
Update: auto-magical JavaRebel support is now available based on the
following expression:

@rebel_home = ENV['REBEL_HOME'] or ENV['JAVA_REBEL'] or ENV['JAVAREBEL'] or
ENV['JAVAREBEL_HOME']

This can point to the directory or the javarebel.jar file.  In either case,
the rebel_home method will figure out what's going on and compensate
accordingly.  All of the JVM launch differences are encapsulated in the
rebel_args and rebel_props(project) methods in the Buildr::Shell::JavaRebel
module.

With this support, it was pretty easy to enable JavaRebel launching of the
Scala shell and the Clojure shell.  This is really neat, because it means
that in both cases you get an almost-Lisp-like dynamic programming
environment with any vanilla Java, Scala or Groovy project.  JIRB also now
has support, but that was a little tricky since the JRuby launch process is
more involved.  Basically, if JRUBY_HOME is set, then that installation will
be used.  Otherwise, jruby-complete 1.1.6 will be downloaded and used
instead (this option is not preferred since it's slower).  It looks like
java/jruby.rb does some magic for when Buildr is run under JRuby; I haven't
quite figured that out yet.

Anyway, because the JIRB launch code has to basically replicate the
`bin/jruby` script, it's a lot more complicated and (thus) more prone to
bugs across different platforms.  Seems to work fine on Mac, but additional
testing is needed.

Daniel