buildr-users mailing list archives

From Martin Grotzke <martin.grot...@javakaffee.de>
Subject Re: How to run a webapp in jetty
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:56:22 GMT
On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 23:14 +0200, Timo Rantalaiho wrote:
> In day-to-day development I don't see much value in running
> the servlet container with the build tool, except for
> automated in-container tests (that must work also on build
> server for example). In that case too sometimes it can be
> done with e.g. JUnit (Group)Runner that starts and stops
> Jetty as needed.
If the servlet container is started using the IDE or the build tool is
not very important to me / no big difference.

We just want to have a well defined way how to run the application. Some
developers here still use vi or emacs as their (I)DE and therefore have
no jetty-whatever-plugin (or is there one? *g*).

I personally also used the eclipse jetty-plugin in our last project, but
this also stopped to work after some update of eclipse and I didn't
have/spent the time to find out what the reason is, I just switched to
"mvn jetty:run".

What makes a real difference IMHO is if you have live classreloading
working to see changes immediately, without the need to restart anything
(I don't know if it's much time, but at least I *feel* faster :)).

Cheers,
Martin